Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mockingbird Attacks! (With a Wobbly-Bad Video)


Day after day, I sit in my room, facing my laptop, trying to call down words. AWTN is coming out next month, and I'm doing copy edits for another southern mystery that's scheduled for April. Sometimes I need Peace and Quiet to pick bone fragments out of a ms. But a mockingbird has started attacking my house. It starts in the bay-bedroom window; then it moves to the side window. It wings around to the family room transoms. Sometimes it pecks my Jeep.

This morning, I stopped working on copyedits to film this weird, little bird. Is it trying to get in? Attack? Sell me something?

My mother says when a bird pecks a window, it means someone in the house will die. Yeesh, I hated that explanation, so I Googled "bird pecks window" until I found a better answer. According to old wives' tales, the pecking means news is on the way. But it also means that the mockingbird has seen its reflection, thinks its another bird, and it wants the bird to hit the road. The cure is to put up a decal. I taped a magazine cover to the bathroom window, but the bird still pecks. If I step near the window, the Mockingbird flies away. So, it's not seeing his reflection, right? Does it think I'm a big-haired bird that wants his worms and bugs? I don't know. This has been going on for two months. I'm so afraid it's going to hurt itself.

Here's today's bird attack:

I closed the draperies. But maybe I need to buy a bird feeder? Or send the wee pecker to MockingMatch.com to find a mate. ;-)